21 February 2024

Caution: Nearly half of business-to-business buyers find the majority of current marketing uninteresting

By Ronald Smith

Let me tell you something important: a whopping 48% of business-to-business buyers admit that they’re feeling bored with the marketing they encounter these days. It seems like the messages being thrown their way just aren’t capturing their attention. And honestly, can you really blame them?

I mean, just think about it. Every day, we’re flooded with advertisements, emails, and social media posts, all vying for our precious attention. It’s like a never-ending parade of promotions, sales pitches, and fancy slogans. But amidst all the clamor and commotion, how many of those marketing efforts actually manage to grab our interest?

Well, according to a recent study, not many. In fact, almost half of B2B buyers find the majority of the marketing materials they come across to be downright boring. And it’s not just a slight case of disinterest either. They’re truly, undeniably bored.

So, if you’re a business trying to reach these buyers, it’s time to step up your game. You need to find a way to break through the monotony and engage your target audience in a meaningful way. The old tricks and tired clich├ęs just won’t cut it anymore.

But fear not! There’s still hope for you. It’s all about injecting some excitement and creativity into your marketing strategies. Instead of bombarding buyers with generic messages, try to personalize your approach. Show them that you understand their unique needs and challenges. Grab their attention and make them feel like they’re part of something special.

Remember, it’s not enough to just be flashy or attention-seeking. You have to provide real value, something that truly resonates with your audience. Maybe it’s a unique solution to a common problem or a fresh perspective on an industry trend. Whatever it is, make it interesting, make it relevant, and make it matter.

So, the next time you craft a marketing campaign, think about those bored B2B buyers. Put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself, Would I be captivated by this? Would I pay attention to it? If the answer is anything less than a resounding Yes!, then it’s time to go back to the drawing board.

In this fast-paced world of constant stimulation, you have to find a way to rise above the noise, to stand out from the crowd. And guess what? You can do it. You have the power to captivate, inspire, and engage. So go ahead, grab your audience’s attention, and make your mark in the world of marketing.

Caution: Nearly half of business-to-business buyers find the majority of current marketing uninteresting

When it comes to attracting customers, businesses often rely too heavily on their marketing strategies. Whether they’re targeting other businesses (B2B) or individual consumers (B2C), the traditional approaches just don’t cut it anymore. As a result, customers can quickly become bored with the same old marketing tactics.

A recent survey conducted by WHM took a close look at the B2B advertising market. And guess what? It turns out that decision-makers are indeed growing tired of the same old ads. They’re looking for something more creative and engaging to guide them through the buying process. While most marketing budgets tend to focus on consumer advertising, there’s still a significant market for B2B marketing for those who know how to make it work.

But let’s not forget about the 30+ million small businesses in the US that receive B2B ads. For them, receiving bland and uninteresting marketing content can be just as big of a problem as it is for larger enterprises.

In our press release, my colleague Audrey Merritt from WHM said, Let me tell you something, most of our choices to buy something are based on how we feel. And if we’re not interested in what we see about a product or service at the very beginning, we won’t develop any positive emotions towards it.

The question that gave us the most insight was, If everything else was the same, would you like business ads to be as creative as consumer ads?

An impressive 82.6% of people said yes, while the remaining 17.4% said no. This means that the majority of people believe that better advertising is the way to go. However, the next question seemed to contradict the first.

When we asked people what they thought of the ads they currently receive, 52% said they find them just as interesting as consumer ads. On the other hand, 48% said they were boring and not very creative. So it seems that there is a group of decision makers who are indifferent to the ads they receive.

Websites

When I’m trying to learn about another company, one of the ways I do that is by checking out their websites. But you know what? B2B websites are usually not as fun and creative as the ones for regular customers like you and me.

This survey I found asked people what they thought about business websites. It turns out, it was pretty much a tie! About half of the people, 50.6% to be exact, said that websites for business products and services can be just as interesting and creative as the ones we see for regular consumer stuff. But the other half, 49.4%, thought they were boring and not as creative.

Buying Decision

This got me thinking. Can a more exciting B2B ad actually make a difference in how well a business can make decisions about what to buy? Well, believe it or not, a big majority, 80.8% to be exact, said YES! They think that an ad that’s more creative and inspired can really help with making better buying decisions. Only 19.2% disagreed.

When you think about it, the whole point of an ad in any marketing campaign is to convince people, whether they’re regular customers or businesses, to buy something. It’s all about that one important sale!